Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Climbing the Mountain

Today was a very interesting day. It started out with us making sure we had everything ready to go to de-lice the whole compound. This sounds like an easy task but let me tell you....there is just so much to it all! We started in the first house around 10am. We took a break for lunch and didn't finish it until 5:30pm. Then we took another break for dinner and did the second house until about 8:30pm. Luckly they didn't have it as bad as the first house. We had to strip all the beds and take all the matresses to spray them, and take all the stuffed animals and brushes. I just couldn't believe all the stuff. The first house took us forever to get all the bugs out of the girls hair. I over came two big fears so far. 1.) bugs. 2.) Hair. I hate loose hair just laying around. (if you have ever lived with me u know how much it freaks me out. lol.....especially long black hair. - and that is what all the girls here have). I made the first brush though of a little girl's hair pulling out about 30 bugs everytime. I don't know how they weren't going crazy with all those bugs in their hair. They had to itch like crazy. The first time I ever saw a lice it was jumping and it freaked me out. Now I am excited when I only pull out five or six. Today was a good day! I think we got a ton out so hopefully it will help. We are going to make all the kids put vinegar on their hair everyday and brush through them a lot. Killing lice is no easy task so we are slowly on our way up the seems to be huge mountain. God has been so good to me and so far I don't think I have lice. I shampooed tonight just in case. I had lice all over my hands after washing the kids hair. We gave all the kids cookies that we made since they did such a good job sitting still some of them for about an hour :) On a positive note: my hair is super soft from all the vinegar I have been using! Tomorrow night all the older girls are going to have a sleepover with all the house mom's so we are going to stay in the houses and watch all the other kids. It should be fun! I will let u know. It will be really good for the older girls. Sometimes I think they get over looked because they are more self sufficiant. I have really seen this week how much they are longing from someone to love on them so it should be a lot of fun! Well I have to go boil some water to wash some more of the kids towels.

5 comments:

ritaleelovesyou said...

Man, today was an intense day but it feels good to have accomplished something. God is faithful and will take care of this big process! It is true, we are climbing the mountain!!
Let's keep on keeping on =]

Armstrong's said...

Hey Aimee,
You are the lice champion! I'm so impressed. I can't imagine that much lice! We had a small lice scare here at VBS- one girl had it- and everyone was worried about it spreading. :) Have a good rest of the week- love the stories!

lisa guier said...

I agree with you on the older girls. they do work alot but and don't get the attention the younger ones get. that's why i was especially drawn to milagros and norma. i can't wait to hear how your sleepover goes. :)

Unknown said...

Good job with the lice Aimee. I can't imagine taking on that big of a problem! I'll pray that those little things will die!

Meagan Leigh said...

Hey dear, I'm still praying for you and the lice situation! I"m so sorry its worked out this way, but God put you there for a reason and I know He's working through you! I love you and miss you!